Okay, I admit it, during the dog days of summer off season, those of us who cover NBA basketball are searching for things to write about. So, I figured I would test your knowledge of the Cleveland Cavaliers franchise. Don’t worry, the questions cover the range of easy, mediocre and tough skill levels. At the end of the article you will find the answers, so no peaking. There is also a scale to rate what kind of Cavs knowledge you have. So without further adieu, lets begin.
1. The Cavs have had five first over selections in the NBA draft. Who are they?
2. Who was the first Cavaliers coach?
3. What are Stepien Rules?
4. What were the first Cavalier’s playoff run called as a nickname?
5. How many regular season MVP’s did LeBron James win with the Cavs?
6. What was the arena the Cavs first played in when the enterred the NBA?
7. Who is the Cavs all-time leader in three point shooting?
8. Name the four Cavs owners to date.
9. How many times have the Cavs changed uniform colors?
10. On the current Cavs roster, which players did not attend college?
11. How many seasons have the Cavs been to the playoffs?
12. What is the Cavs longest losing streak?
13. Which former Cavalier is famous for defending Michael Jordan’s “The Shot”?
14. Who is the Cavs all-time leading rebounder?
15. Who is the Cavs all-time winningest coach?
16. What site does the Cavaliers practice at?
17. Who is the Cavs all-time leader in assists?
18. What Cavs rookie became the first to average 20 points per game, 5 rebounds per game, and 5 assists per game in their rookie season?
19. What is the name of the Cavs mascot?
20. Which owner was the one to adopt the name Cavs to use on their uniforms and marketing.
Answers: 1. Austin Carr, Brad Daugherty, LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Anthony Bennett. 2. Bill Fitch. 3. The NBA banned trading away first round draft picks in consecutive years because Stepien decimate the team with bad trades. 4. Miracle of Ritchfield. 5. Two. The 2008-09 and the 2009-10 seasons. 6. the Cleveland Arena. It wasn’t until 1974 that they moved to the Richfield Coliseum. 7. Mark Price’s .904 free throw percentage just didn’t lead the Cavs all time, but the entire NBA. 8. Nick Mileti (1970-1980), Ted Stepien (1980-1983), Gordon Gund (1983-2003), and Dan Gilbert (2003 to present). 9. 6 Wine and Gold (1970-1983), Blue and Orange (1983-1994), Orange, Black & Blue (1994-2003), Orange & Blue (2006-2007) as a tribute to the 1986 team’s 20th anniversary, Blue & Orange – (2009-2010) as a tribute to the 40th anniversary of the team. Wine and Gold (2003-Present) with the exception of the two tribute seasons. 10. Andrew Bynum, C.J. Miles and Anderson Varejao.
11. 17 trips to playoffs. (1975-79), (1985-86), (1988-90), (1991-96), (1997-98), (2005-10). 12. The chaos brought to Cleveland with Ted Stepien resulted in a 24 game losing streak, which ranks as the second longest in NBA history. 13. Craig Ehlo. 14. Zydrunas Ilgauskas. 15. Lenny Wilkens (316-258 .551). 16. Since 2007, Cleveland Clinic Courts in Independence, OH. 17. Mark Pride (4206). 18. LeBron James became the first Cav, joining Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan as the only other NBA to accomplish the feat. Tyreke Evans has since joined the group. 19. Moon Dog. 20. Gordon Gund (1983). I guess after Ted Stepien destroyed the team, he figured some rebranding was necessary.
Scoring: 0-5 When did you start following the Cavs? Very recently? 5-10 I know, I know. You weren’t born yet in 1970, so how are you expected to know this stuff? 11-15 Better than most! You’ve done your Cavs homework. 15-20 You bleed wine and gold! Give yourself a pat on the back!!!